WASHINGTON - Don't let your pain in the gas force you to settle for another "stay-cation." WTOP Saves You Money with tips on gas usage.
The price at the pump may be down a bit, but you still need all the help you can get on that road trip you're planning.
We've gathered a few tips to save you money.
- Check your tire pressure and slow down to boost fuel economy.
- Use a gas app to find the cheapest price and use regular if you can.
- Use oil labeled "energy conserving."
- Get a credit card that gives cash back on gas purchases.
- Use EZ Pass to avoid long toll booth lines.
- Use Google Maps to avoid gas-eating congestion.
- Ask hotel chains and resorts if they offer gas cards or rebates.
- To maximize your miles per gallon, keep luggage inside. Reduce aerodynamic drag by not strapping it to the top of your vehicle.
- An extra 100 pounds inside the car can reduce mileage, too.
WTOP's Bob Kur contributed to this report. Follow WTOP on Twitter.
(Copyright 2011 by WTOP. All Rights Reserved.)