WASHINGTON - Many people are clueless about basic home repairs, but knowing just a few things can save you hundreds in plumbing bills.
WTOP's David Burd extracted a few tips from his plumber after paying him $175 to extract a velvet stuffed frog toy from the toilet.
- Yes, Monday is the busiest day for plumbers. They're called in to repair the "handy" work of some not-so-handy homeowners.
- Don't put a brick in toilet to reduce your water use. Bricks can disintegrate and cause plumbing problems.
- Avoid liquid drain cleaners.They can damage your plumbing.
- Flushable baby wipes can clog your toilet.
- If you find yourself jiggling the toilet handle, replace the flap valve. It will cost you about $4.
- Keep an Allen wrench under the sink, along with the directions, to fix a jammed garbage disposal.
- Know where the main water shut off at your home is. You'll save a lot of money, if you can turn the water off when a pipe breaks.
WTOP's David Burd contributed to this report. Follow WTOP on Twitter.
(Copyright 2011 by WTOP. All Rights Reserved.)