WASHINGTON - Many people are clueless about basic home repairs, but knowing just a few things can save you hundreds in plumbing bills.
WTOP's David Burd extracted a few tips from his plumber after paying him $175 to extract a velvet stuffed frog toy from the toilet.
- Yes, Monday is the busiest day for plumbers. They're called in to repair the "handy" work of some not-so-handy homeowners.
- Don't put a brick in toilet to reduce your water use. Bricks can disintegrate and cause plumbing problems.
- Avoid liquid drain cleaners.They can damage your plumbing.
- Flushable baby wipes can clog your toilet.
- If you find yourself jiggling the toilet handle, replace the flap valve. It will cost you about $4.
- Keep an Allen wrench under the sink, along with the directions, to fix a jammed garbage disposal.
- Know where the main water shut off at your home is. You'll save a lot of money, if you can turn the water off when a pipe breaks.
WTOP's David Burd contributed to this report. Follow WTOP on Twitter.
(Copyright 2011 by WTOP. All Rights Reserved.)
More cursing happens in Maryland than across the Potomac River.
To find their Mr. Darcy, one theater in Minn. has turned to a Mad Man.
How much did a painting of a topless "Golden Girl" fetch?
How did a photographer get an inside view of a bear's mouth? (Video)