Neal Augenstein, wtop.com
WASHINGTON - Few people have probably ever said, "Y'know, I just LOVE I-95," but since most in the region drive on it, maybe it's time to look for some positives.
Interstate 95 is 1,925 miles long, stretching from Maine to Miami. One-thousand-nine-hundred-twenty-five long miles. Boring miles. Even-worse-when-you're-stopped-in-traffic miles.
A new book, "What's Great About I-95" offers tidbits of things drivers can see from the highway, as well cool historical moments that happened along the interstate.
Broken down by mileposts, a bored driver can be enlightened to hear the person riding shotgun describe these places:
- In Maine, at Exit 80 is the Lewiston Sports Complex, where Muhammad Ali and Sonny Liston fought their rematch in 1965, before only 2,434 fans -- the smallest crowd ever for a championship match.
- In Connecticut, the hamburger was invented at Louis' Lunch in New Haven. The original vertical grill is still there, and ketchup and mustard are still forbidden, because they disguise the burger's taste.
- In New Jersey, near milepost 98 is the Colonial Pipeline Co., which moves more refined petroleum more miles than any other pipeline in the country. It takes 18 days from Mexico City to Jersey.
- In Maryland, at milepost 85 in Aberdeen is Ripken Stadium -- Cal Ripken's complex, where young people learn and play the game.
- Also in Maryland, Pennsylvania Avenue at Exit 11 is about 10 miles to the White House.
- Near the Woodrow Wilson Bridge, road construction uncovered an historical slave burial ground -- the Contrabands and Freedmen's Cemetery Memorial is located near the southern end of the bridge.
- In North Carolina, at Exit 95 is a museum in Smithfield, to honor film star Ava Gardner, who was born there.
(Copyright 2012 by WTOP. All Rights Reserved.)
This U.S. city is buying $30M worth of iPads for its students.
Oreo's new flavor is getting a ton of buzz. So we tried it.
A Maryland man is charged with poking holes in meat packages.
Meet the newest liligers - mom's a liger and dad's a lion. (Photos)