Comment
1
Tweet
0
Print
RSS Feeds

Pepco transformer explodes, sparks substation fire

Tuesday - 9/24/2013, 9:01pm  ET

WASHINGTON - A fire and explosion broke out inside a Pepco substation in Prince George's County Tuesday evening.

The Prince George's Fire Department says the fire was reported at a substation in the 7200 block of Central Avenue in Seat Pleasant. Calls to 911 reported a transformer explosion, which sparked the fire, just after 6 p.m.

Fumes from transformer fires are toxic so Hazmat crews were on standby with foam in case the wind sent the smoke from the fire toward nearby homes.

There are no reports of any injuries. Fire officials say the fire is under control. But it is unclear if the fire affected electric service.

Traffic lanes were blocked on Central Avenue.

Follow @WTOP on Twitter.

© 2013 WTOP. All Rights Reserved.

Tags: fireseat pleasantpepco