Darci Marchese, wtop.com
WASHINGTON - Two Prince George's County police officers are suspended after video tape raises questions about the their account of what happened during an officer-involved shooting in Brentwood last week.
"We have an internal investigation and it's very preliminary at this point," says Carlos Acosta, the new Prince George's County inspector general.
He says the video tape surveillance has been handed over to the Maryland State's Attorney's Office for review.
Initial reports say two police officers believed two men were going to rob a convenience store on Rhode Island Avenue on the evening of Feb. 3. One man was wearing a mask.
When the officers tried to approach the suspects, police say a 19-year-old took off. After a short chase, Cpl. Donald Taylor said the teenager tried to grab his weapon and that's when he fired a shot towards the suspect. The suspect was not hit or injured.
But just days after the incident, surveillance tape apparently contradicts part of that story. Acosta wouldn't get into any details, saying it's an on-going investigation.
Taylor is suspended along with another officer who has not been named.
Acosta says the suspects still may face charges in the alleged incident.
Acosta stepped in as the new inspector general last week. He was going to be officially introduced to the public Wednesday, but officials thought he should handle the investigation announcement because of its importance.
(Copyright 2012 by WTOP. All Rights Reserved.)
Which big cat had some trouble coughing this up? (Photos)
"Jenny from the Block" wants you to buy Verizon phones from her.
French universities could say goodbye to this language in class.
Doctors saved this boy's life with a medical first involving a printer.