Comment
0
Tweet
0
Print
RSS Feeds

Elton John cancels London show due to appendicitis

Tuesday - 7/9/2013, 5:10pm  ET

FILE - This June 30, 2012 file photo shows British pop star Elton John performing during the Euro 2012 soccer championship in Kiev, Ukraine. Elton John has canceled a show in London’s Hyde Park after being diagnosed with appendicitis that will require surgery. A statement issued Tuesday July 9, 2013 by the musician's publicist said John was suffering from an inflamed appendix and surrounding abscess. The 66-year-old performer had been due to play an outdoor concert in London's Hyde Park on Friday on a bill with Elvis Costello and Ray Davies.(AP Photo/Efrem Lukatsky, file)

LONDON (AP) -- Elton John has canceled a show in London's Hyde Park due to appendicitis that will require surgery.

A statement issued Tuesday by the musician's publicist said John was suffering from an inflamed appendix and surrounding abscess.

He has been advised by doctors to cancel his concerts while he undergoes a regime of antibiotics to treat the abscess. That will be followed by surgery in the next few weeks.

The statement said John fell ill during his recent European tour, but "is eager to be back on top form and return to play the remaining shows starting in early September 2013."

The 66-year-old performer had been due to play an outdoor concert in London's Hyde Park on Friday on a bill with Elvis Costello and Ray Davies.

Concert organizers said the show will go on -- for free -- with the remaining lineup and that ticket holders will receive a full refund.

Last year John canceled several U.S. dates after being diagnosed with a respiratory infection.

His new album, "The Diving Board," is due out in September.


Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.