ANNAPOLIS, Md. - The Board of Public Works has approved a $40,000 settlement for a former jail inmate who was beaten in 2007 relating to a smuggling ring involving a former corrections officer.
The board voted 2-1 Wednesday to approve the settlement after a federal indictment last week of 25 people, including 13 correctional officers.
Comptroller Peter Franchot, a board member, voted against the settlement. He expressed concern that more inmates could come forward requesting large amounts of compensation as a result of corruption.
Gov. Martin O'Malley, who voted for the settlement, says while more work remains to be done, there has been a lot of progress under his leadership. He says that includes the capture of 77 percent more contraband cellphones and significant reductions in assaults on prison staff and inmates.
Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.