CUMBERLAND, Md. - Law enforcement officials in western Maryland are discussing whether to beef up punishment for people who call in bomb threats to schools.
The Cumberland Times-News reports ( http://bit.ly/13dRLln) that nearly two dozen people from law enforcement, education and the government met Monday to discuss possibly increasing penalties.
Allegany County Schools Superintendent David Cox says there have been too many threats over the years and more severe consequences are needed. Such threats can drain resources and take up valuable school time.
One board member, Mike Llewellyn, says there was even a bomb scare on the day of the Connecticut school shooting last month.
Llewellyn is advocating charging teenagers 13 and older as adults for making bomb threats. That could subject them to harsher penalties.
Information from: Cumberland (Md.) Times-News, http://www.times-news.com/timesnew.html
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
The U. of Oregon is cracking down on a fan favorite.
Miss Utah's 2nd chance at the pageant answer that went viral. (Video)
Not to lecture, but here's why you don't want to skimp on sleep.
James Franco wants fans to spot him half a million for a film trilogy.