PEARISBURG, Va. - A rural school system in southwest Virginia is canceling the start of classes in the new year Wednesday because of concerns about an online posting that mentions the school massacre in Connecticut and local schools.
While no specific threats have been directed at any schools in Giles County, Sheriff Morgan Millirons said Tuesday officials decided to err on the side of caution. Teachers and administrators will be briefed on the source of the concern while students are off, he said.
Superintendent Terry Arbogast posted a letter on the school's website that said the website causing the concern mentions Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn., and "Narrows Schools." The district includes schools in the town of Narrows.
The article, which was still posted Tuesday on http://www.revelationnow.net, also refers to the mass shootings at a Colorado movie theater last year during a showing of a Batman movie, the Connecticut school massacre last month and a possible connection to Narrows schools. The headline is "The Next School Massacre Target?"
The website describes itself as an online research community dedicated to presenting "esoteric repressed information." It also has reports on conspiracy theories and offbeat news.
Millirons said each Giles County school already has a school resource officer, according to The Roanoke Times.
"We think our school system is safe," Millirons said.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)