BURKE, Va. - Fairfax County fire officials are crediting a neighbor with saving a Burke family whose home was destroyed by fire.
The fire broke out Wednesday night on Manet Road in Burke with flames shooting from windows and shattering glass. That's when Denis Garrelts' daughter alerted him that their neighbor's home was on fire.
Garrelts went to the house to look for his neighbors, Michael and Sheila Cherubin. When Michael Cherubin had arrived home, he followed his foster son Joseph into the house, searching for their pets.
Garrelts says he couldn't go inside the smoke-filled house. He started yelling for Michael Cherubin who came out gasping. Garrelts kept his neighbor out of the house, and fire officials credit Garrelts with pulling Joseph out of the burning home.
No one was seriously injured.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)