Comment
0
Tweet
0
Print
RSS Feeds

Salisbury not contributing to July 4th fireworks

Wednesday - 5/30/2012, 11:48am  ET

SALISBURY, Md. - Fireworks will return to skies over Salisbury this July Fourth, but the display isn't getting any funding from the city council.

The Daily Times of Salisbury ( http://tinyurl.com/88a3mgj) reports the council defeated a measure Tuesday to contribute $5,000 to the Red, White and Boom fireworks display.

Council Vice President Debbie Campbell says she's not sure it's the city's role to contribute to the fireworks, but that she plans to contribute personally to the display.

Mike Dunn is spearheading a volunteer-driven effort for the display. Dunn says about $25,000 to $30,000 has been raised so far. He says about $20,000 will cover this year's fireworks, but that he had hope to raise enough for next year as well.

The fireworks will be launched about 9 p.m. on July 4 on Bateman Street.

___

Information from: The Daily Times of Salisbury, Md., http://www.delmarvanow.com/


(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)