ANNAPOLIS, Md. - The U.S. Naval Academy is on pace to receive more applications this year than last year's record number, the academy's dean of admissions told the Board of Visitors on Monday.
As of March 1, the academy had received 20,602 applications, compared to 19,138 at the same time last year _ about a 7 percent increase. The academy has received 4,819 applications from women, up from 4,490. Minority applications rose to 6,956 from 6,657.
Dean Latta, the dean of admissions, noted a significant increase in the number of students who already have indicated they will attend. The academy has offered admission to 1,021 students, and 369 students already have accepted. That compares to 268 students last year. For female students, 101 have said they will attend, compared to 60 at this time last year. Among minority students, 102 indicated they will attend, compared to 71 last year.
"In fact, it's phenomenally higher," Latta said. "I went back about 10 years, and I don't see a year where we were even remotely close to this year in terms of those who have already told us they're going to come to the school for next year. I don't know exactly what that means. I never know until (Induction) Day exactly what anything means, but it does tend to help me believe that we'll probably have a little bit of an increased acceptance rate this year."
Latta said he expected there would be an increase in the number of women in the incoming class. Women comprise about 21 percent of the class of 2015.
The midshipmen of the class of 2016 will be competing for fewer spots. The class of 2015 has about 1,220 students. The class of 2016 will have about 1,190, Latta said.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)