CHESTERFIELD, Va. (AP) - Chesterfield County police say a 7-year-old girl died after eating a peanut that was offered to her on an elementary school playground during recess.
Media outlets report a police investigation determined another student was unaware that Amarria Johnson had a peanut allergy.
Police say in a news release that after eating the peanut, the victim then approached a teacher who was monitoring recess and was taken to the clinic at Hopkins Elementary School. The girl stopped breathing. School personnel, police and firefighters performed CPR on the girl, who was declared dead at Chippenham Hospital on Monday.
The investigation indicates the girl died of cardiac arrest and anaphylaxis.
(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
How much did a painting of a topless "Golden Girl" fetch?
Weinstein showcases Kelly and Mandela films at Cannes.
Conn. zoo officials don't know how this baby came to be born.
Taylor Swift and Justin Bieber are the key nominees.