Comment
0
Tweet
0
Print
RSS Feeds

Biden helps launch PSA on dating violence

Thursday - 6/21/2012, 4:52pm  ET

WASHINGTON (AP) - The White House is issuing a public service announcement against dating violence, combining the voices of President Barack Obama and Vice President Joe Biden with those of top sports figures in a campaign to reduce assaults on women.

The campaign, which was launched by Biden last year, is called "1 is 2 Many." Last year, 1 in 10 teens was hurt by a date. In the announcement, prominent athletes urge men never to strike a woman.

"Violence against women hurts all of us," says former New York Yankees and Los Angeles Dodgers manager Joe Torre, recalling his own experience as a boy. "Growing up I was afraid and ashamed of my father when he abused my mom."

The announcement will be televised this summer on sports-oriented programs on the ESPN, Fox Sports, MLB and NFL networks. Among those featured are, international soccer star David Beckham, New York Giants quarterback Eli Manning, New York Knicks player Jeremy Lin, baseball's Evan Longoria of the Tampa Bay Rays and Jimmy Rollins of the Philadelphia Phillies.

"The worst abuse of power is when a man raises a hand to hurt a woman," Biden says. "We all have to take responsibility. So if you see someone threatening a woman, step up, speak out and get help."

___

Online:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?vXXox6ma1gtE&featureyoutu.be


(Copyright 2012 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)