RSS Feeds

School rescues, sleeping in cars among storm tales

Wednesday - 1/29/2014, 9:30pm  ET

Associated Press

They crept through traffic that makes an ordinary Atlanta rush hour feel like a drag race, trudged home through ice and snow while watching cars skid and slide through intersections and spent the night taking care of young children stranded at school. Some even slept in their cars.

The winter storm that blasted Georgia and Alabama on Tuesday caught many people behind the wheel, at work or at school before they could make it home. Getting through it would test their patience, their endurance and perhaps even their character.

Here are the stories of a few who braved the cold that virtually shut down the South.


Jessica Troy's commute home from work took more than half a day. She described it as driving a slow-motion obstacle course on sheets of ice.

On Interstate 285 that circles Atlanta's perimeter, drivers Tuesday evening had to veer around cars abandoned in traffic and tractor-trailers skidded on the ice and wound up blocking multiple lanes. And everything seemed to move at the slowest pace imaginable.

"We literally would go 5 feet and sit for two hours," Troy said after she and a co-worker who rode with her finally made it home just after 10:30 a.m. Wednesday.

They spent more than 16 hours in the car together. Their total trip was about 12 miles.

Troy said they left the advertising agency where they work at 6 p.m. Tuesday. Roads were still clogged with drivers who tried to rush home after lunch as the ice storm hit.

The standstill traffic gave Troy plenty of time to call her parents and send text messages to friends, letting them know she was OK. By 3 a.m. her car was stuck on a freeway entrance ramp. She put it in park, left the heat running and tried to get some sleep.

"I slept for an hour and it was not comfortable," Troy said. "Most people sat the entire night with no food, no water, no bathroom. We saw people who had children. It was a dire situation."

After daybreak a few good Samaritans appeared, going car-to-car and handing out bottles of water and cookies. Traffic started moving again at about 8:30. The rest of the trip took about two hours.

Troy had enough time to shower, eat and grab an hourlong nap before starting her workday Wednesday morning. Fortunately, she was able to telecommute on her laptop.

"I jumped back into working," she said. "But I was so glad to be home, I don't even care."


DeKalb County police had their hands full as the winter storm hit metro Atlanta, with seemingly nonstop 911 calls coming in from drivers stuck on icy roads and reports of crashes. So when word came that students were stranded at Peachtree Middle School because driving conditions were too hazardous for their parents to get them, police Chief Cedric Alexander dispatched himself to give some of them a ride home.

Alexander said he had four children pile into his truck, as many as he could safely carry. Then he pulled onto Interstate 285, a typically busy commuter route where bumper-to-bumper traffic now inched along over treacherous patches of ice.

It took three hours. But the chief personally saw each of the young students safely home to their families. Alexander said the looks of relief he saw on the faces of parents at their front doors told him he'd made the right call.

"I just felt that it was the right thing to do even though I had oversight of this whole county and public safety," Alexander said. "I just knew I couldn't leave those kids there."


The snow and ice caused classes to be dismissed early at Roswell High School outside Atlanta. But 15-year-old Camden Donahoe got tired of waiting as students spent hours in the school gym biding their time until buses navigating the slippery roads could pick them up to go home.

So Camden and a friend who normally takes the same bus struck out on foot through the snow.

"We figured our parents would be less worried if we just walked," Camden said.

The teenagers hiked for several miles through bitter cold. But they seemed to be faring better than many who were trying to make it home by car.

"It was pretty bad out, the roads were really icy," Camden said. "Cars were spinning out at one of the big intersections we went to."

He made it home in about an hour with his hooded sweater, blue jeans and tennis shoes all wet. Camden figured he beat the school bus. He walked the same route the bus always takes, but never saw it drive past him.

   1 2 3  -  Next page  >>