Comment
0
Tweet
0
Print
RSS Feeds

Al-Qaida takes responsibility for reporters' death

Wednesday - 11/6/2013, 1:41pm  ET

DAKAR, Senegal (AP) -- A website frequently used by jihadists published a statement from al-Qaida in the Islamic Maghreb in which it claims responsibility for the slaying of two French radio journalists who were kidnapped and killed just outside the northern Malian city of Kidal last Saturday.

Sahara Media's Arabic-language website said it had been sent a copy of a statement from the al-Qaida branch stating they had killed the Radio France Internationale journalists on Nov. 2 in retaliation for French and Malian crimes against the people of northern Mali.

The statement said: "The organization considers that this is the least of the price which President Francois Hollande and his people will pay for their new crusade."

Sahara Media identified the al-Qaida brigade which carried out the killings as that run by Abdelkarim al-Targui.


Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.