WASHINGTON - The bands are striking up a vote.
Hoping to win a chunk of $1 million in prize money to help struggling music programs, several area schools have submitted videos hoping to attract votes.
The competition, called Give A Note, is a partnership through the television show "Glee" to support music education. It hopes the prize money will ultimately help in small ways to spare music programs from the budget-cutting knife.
The following local music programs have submitted videos:
- Oxon Hill Middle School (Prince George's County, Md.)
- D.C. Scholars Stanton Elementary (Washington, D.C.)
- Stuart-Hobson Middle School (Washington, D.C.)
- Montgomery Blair High School (Montgomery County, Md.)
- Godwin Middle School (Prince William County, Va.)
Voting is open until Nov. 7. Visit the program's website to vote for a local school.
(Copyright 2011 by WTOP. All rights reserved.)