Comment
0
Tweet
0
Print
RSS Feeds

Mixed reaction to Va. gov.'s plea for disaster assistance

Tuesday - 10/11/2011, 11:06am  ET

HollyAcres.jpg
Maria Caranza watches as crews demolish homes in the Holly Acres Mobile Home Park in Woodbridge, Va. Monday. (WTOP Photo/Kathy Stewart)
Kathy Stewart, wtop.com

WOODBRIDGE, Va. - Woodbridge Supervisor Frank Principi says it's "great news" that Virginia Gov. Bob McDonnell is asking the federal government for assistance after flooding from Tropical Storm Lee devastated businesses and neighborhoods in the area.

Holley Acres Mobile Home Park, which suffered heavy damage due to flood waters from the storm, is in Principi's district.

On Monday, Scott Beranke, who leads one of the demolition crews, said that 25 homes had been torn down since Wednesday.

Maria Caranza, who lost her home due to the flooding, watched Monday as crews ripped down homes at Holly Acres, many of which had been condemned. She had lived with her mom and dad, four brothers and her 3-year-old daughter.

Caranza says the family is still looking for permanent housing. She says the family is currently staying with relatives.

Caranza says she's given up hope and doesn't understand why McDonnell is asking for help weeks after the storm.

"I'm not really convinced, cause they should have done that right away," she says. "Why wait till a month goes by?"

Follow WTOP on Twitter.

(Copyright 2011 by WTOP. All rights reserved.)