WASHINGTON -- An explosion that leveled a home in Chantilly nearly a year ago is still under investigation, and authorities can't seem to agree on exactly what caused it.
The explosion last December occurred inside a house on Lees Corner Road, when the family who lived there was not at home. Nobody was hurt in the incident.
Fairfax County fire investigators concluded the fire was caused by a gas leak, saying gas had likely built up in the home and then ignited by the open flame on the gas water heater.
But Washington Gas says it is still conducting its own investigation and isn't sure it was a natural gas explosion.
The homeowner, Thuan Nguyen, tells ABC 7 he believes Washington Gas is putting up a stone wall to avoid paying.
Nguyen's insurance company has put in a claim and could sue Washington Gas.
WTOP's Neal Augenstein contributed to this report.
(Copyright 2011 by WTOP. All Rights Reserved.)