RICHMOND, Va. - Sixteen historically significant places are being added to Virginia's Landmarks Register.
About one-third of the new entries relate the story of women and African- Americans, such as the First Baptist Church in Farmville. Founded in 1867, the church became a center for the black community at the height of efforts to desegregate Prince Edward County's public schools a half-century ago.
Other new landmarks include the Stafford Training School, which was the only black high school in Stafford County during segregation, and the Hayden High School in Franklin. It was built in 1953 to replace the cramped and deteriorating all-black high school.
North Court Hall at the University of Richmond was built in 1913 as the school then known as Richmond College broadened its educational opportunities to women.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)