Comment
12
Tweet
3
Print
RSS Feeds

Mother of Navy yard shooter 'so, so very sorry'

Wednesday - 9/18/2013, 12:19pm  ET

Bishops Gerald Seabrooks, right, and Willie Billips stand in front of the home of Cathleen Alexis, mother of Washington Navy Yard gunman Aaron Alexis, who made a statement at her home in New York's Brooklyn borough on Wednesday, Sept. 18, 2013. The bishops are part of a Brooklyn Clergy-NYPD Task Force. Cathleen Alexis said that she does not know why her son did what he did and she will never be able to ask him. Aaron Alexis opened fire Monday, killing 12 people, before he was killed in a shootout with police. (AP Photo/Seth Wenig)
  • Gallery: (159 images)

NEW YORK (AP) -- The mother of the man who killed 12 people at the Washington Navy Yard says she is "so, so very sorry that this has happened."

Cathleen Alexis said Wednesday in New York City that she does not know why her son, Aaron, did what he did and she will never be able to ask him.

The mother read a statement at her home in Brooklyn. She concluded, "My heart is broken."

She did not want to appear on camera and did not take questions from a reporter.

Thirty-four-year-old Aaron Alexis opened fire at the Navy Yard on Monday before he was killed in a shootout with police.

Authorities say he had been suffering a host of serious mental problems including paranoia and a sleep disorder.


Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.