Comment
0
Tweet
0
Print
RSS Feeds

NYS proposal seeks to buy storm-wrecked homes

Monday - 2/4/2013, 9:34am  ET

NEW YORK (AP) -- New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo is proposing spending up to $400 million to buy and demolish homes destroyed by Superstorm Sandy and permanently preserve the land as undeveloped coastline.

Cuomo presented his plan to federal officials in Washington on Friday. The purchase plan would require federal approval since it would be paid for using a portion of the $51 billion disaster relief package approved by Congress last week.

The New York Times (http://nyti.ms/VEt94E ) says federal officials appeared receptive to the idea. Cuomo said he hoped to announce details about the program in the next two weeks.

A spokesman for a storm task force created by President Barack Obama in December said it's too soon to say whether New York will be allowed to proceed.

___

Information from: The New York Times, http://www.nytimes.com


Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.